Chapter 1 - Consent Subchapter: Consent laws & rights

Further information

If you, a friend or a family member are at immediate risk of harm, call 000.


Sexual assault services

Call 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) for a national support service. There are also state support services too that can be found on the website, listed under the Find Services tab at the top.


Getting a restraining order

If someone online is harassing you sexually, you can apply for a number of protection orders from Legal Aid or your local Community Legal Centre, to prevent them from being able to see or contact you.


For more information on consent laws in your state or territory:

Go to the Youth Law Australia website and navigate to the section for your state and territory.


Making a formal complaint

The Australian Human Rights Commission investigates and conciliates complaints about discrimination and breaches of human rights, including discrimination based on sex and sexual harassment.

The eSafety image-based abuse portal contains reporting options, resources and support for victims, their family and friends, as well as bystanders.


Report image-based abuse to the eSafety Commissioner

The eSafety Commissioner is a government agency that helps to keep people safe online by tackling image-based abuse and identifying and removing illegal content.

The eSafety Commissioner can help you if an intimate image or video of you has been shared, or someone is threatening to share it without your consent.

You can make a report to eSafety no matter what your age. eSafety can help to get the intimate image or video removed and, in some cases, take action against the person who shared or threatened to share it.

You can contact the eSafety Commissioner for help as soon as you realise that intimate images or videos have been posted without your consent.